Sunday, February 25, 2007

Trying to feel productive

Stuck at home, sick, since Friday. I left my knitting bag at work. ARGGGHHHH. It's probably for the best, since Claritin makes me feel befuddled.

It is asian New Year, and I keep hearing the sound of drums and firecrackers going off in my neighborhood, which is pretty exciting. Yesterday as I walked over to the grocery store, I saw a bunch of kids dressed up in elaborate traditional costumes walking down the street. Pretty cool. I'd go out again and try and find where the celebrations are, but I'm feeling pretty tuckered.

For the past week or so, large flocks of canada geese have been swooping in from somewhere to spend the day pecking at the grass in the soccer field behind our house. Patches doesn't quite know what to make of them. I used to think they were pesky until I watched Winged Migration. I rented it again yesterday, and it is probably one of the best documentaries I've ever watched. What I find funny is that they swoop in between 9:00-10:00AM or so, just when I'm getting up. They disappear before it gets dark. I thought birds were supposed to be early risers.





Last week DH and I went up to Rockport for a visit. Although we spent most of the weekend next to a nice warm woodstove, we did manage to take a walk down near the water. It was brisk. We saw some interesting creatures along the way:





I'll leave you with this image of one of my favorite stops along our walk. I find it to be very Winslow Homerish.

3 comments:

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

In spite of the sniffles you seemed to have a very nice weekend. I enjoy everything around me like that also. You hear geese? Yah, I hear lots of noisy geese. (but I get up at 4am before the geese)

BTW, another reason to have more than one knitting project going is so that you always have one you can work on. Of course, some people (like me?) are ridiculous about it and have more than 3 or 4 going.

Betty Crocker said...

Sorry you are under the weather. Here is an easy and delicious chicken & rice soup recipe that I love. Your photos are beautiful -- what a great eye you have!

Wild Rice & Chicken Soup
1 10.5 oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
2.5 c. chopped cooked chicken
2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 c. coarsely shredded carrot
1 c. sliced celery
1 6 oz. pkg. Uncle Ben's Wild Rice
5 c. chicken broth
5 c. water

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low for 6 hrs. or high for 3 hrs.

Of course they say "feed a cold" so you'd better have some cookies too!

Pennsylvania Proud said...

Betty Crocker's soup recipe is a good one, I can vouge for that!

Grr Grr (hungar pangs)