Saturday, December 09, 2006

Spiral Rib Hat (Ann Norling)

Finished Project!!!!!!

Spiral Rib Hat (Ann Norling)



This pattern works for gauges 2.5 - 6

The yarn I used is Frog Tree 100% Alpaca (worsted weight), which calls for US #7 needles, which may explain why the stiches on my finished hat are so loose. If I were to do this again, I would do a test swatch first, and play around with the tension until it was just right. I would have preferred a tighter tension on this one. It was the first project I made with my new interchangeable needle set.

Also, the pattern calls for using double pointed needles in the decrease section at the top. Man, I do NOT know how to use double pointed needles. I'm hoping someone at SnB will take pity and show me how. In the process of awkwardly holding the various needles, I dropped several stitches and had to go back with some yarn and a needle and do some damage control. The recommended finished measurement for a woman's small in this pattern is 20" - WAY too much hat for me. The final measurement on this one is 8".



Well, I guess it's back to my sweater! I might pick up some extra alpaca and make a scarf to go with.

2 comments:

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I like the hat. I usually use dpn's for knitting my socks or gloves, so I could show you on the project that I'm working on at the next S&B meeting you're at. Next Thursday? BTW, I like bamboo dpn the best because they don't slip out. See ya later.

FemiKnitMafia said...

Lookin good. Also happy to show you how to use DPNs, but I confess, I don't like them. I use the magic loop for everything, and I'm happy to show that technique to you too.