Wednesday, September 12, 2007

a little advice

when you are teaching yourself how to knit socks, don't make the mistake of thinking that a baby bootie would be easy, because hey, it's so small, it'll knit up fast! And then you discover that knitting something tiny in the round with double-pointed needles is like, virtually impossible with your Andre the Giant fingers.

And then, you get half the bootie done, and discover that suddenly your knit stitches are showing up as purl, because somehow you've twisted the bootie the wrong way. Because while you were trying to figure out the F***ing pattern, you were transported into an alternate reality that also turned your knitting inside out. Which wasn't a problem before, but now it is.

And then your half-a-bootie is so sad that even the cat won't give it the time of day.

Frig.

But you know, I don't give up easily. I'll be back.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Yep, grown up socks would definitely be easier. I still feel like I'm all thumbs with little baby socks, especially right after casting on.

Unknown said...

That's the way ... don't give up. Child size socks are really better. They're smaller than adults but not tiny. Here's a nice easy pattern http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kmstripe-girlsHatScarfSocks.html

If you get to a difficult part, just let me know ... we could meet over tea at New Civiltea in Salem & I could give you some help. ;-)

Unknown said...

Opps, I wasn't on my home email. This is the Stitchingnut ;-)

Bostonworkerbee said...

thanks Rhonda - I might take you up on that!

barefootblogger said...

Finally figured out my password...

I think you should shake that booty! You go girl, don't give up. Meanwhile my million mile unfinished scarf (with all of its many flaws)still sits in a bag in the corner of my closet, in shame. I loved my little SnB group but realized I mostly loved the B part :-)