Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Non-Irish folks NEED to know: the whole "luck o' the irish" thing was invented by the Irish Tourist Board. Believe me. Need proof? Okay:

1. Woke up this morning to the sight of THIS (thanks, Patches!)



2. And THIS (thanks, Mr. Weatherman!)



3. As well as the sound of water dripping from our bedroom ceiling. Apparently an old water stain has revived itself, thanks to the severe winds and moisture from our most recent storm.

OK, sorry. Just had to gripe a little. Must be some pent up frustration from living in New England for 33 years! I am, actually, very lucky. I've got a wonderful DH, and that's just the start of it.

We spent St. Patrick's day shoveling, then went to see The Wind That Shakes The Barley, which I found very interesting. My paternal grandparents came from Ireland (as well as my Da!), and were in their late teens/early twenties during the era depicted in the film. It was a very violent and tragic time, and I can see why no one ever seems to want to talk about it.

As much as we were in the mood for some tasty bread and a pint at Matt Murphy's after watching the film, we knew it'd be really crowded, so we went to Little Q Mongolian Hotpot Just the thing for such cold wet weather! And right down the street!



Because this is supposed to be a knitting blog, I should really update you: I'm back on that pesky sleeve for my lace sweater, and am now getting ready to do the shaping for the upper arm! I think getting a new knitting bag was the right thing to do.

2 comments:

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Well everything runs in threes and thankgoodness it didn't spill over into your knitting, LOL. I had a wonderful "stay at home and knit" day while the corned beef & onions cooked all day in the beer [yumyum]. Threw in the potatoes & carrots ... to slow cook an hour and then the cabbage wedges for the last 1/2 hours. I then made a special gravy from the drippings while everything stayed warm in the oven. Hmmmm boy, I love my St. Patty's Day meal every year!

Your's sounded great also... well after the enitial start anyway ;-)

FemiKnitMafia said...

Knitting blog or no, whatever, I really liked that you posted about The Wind That Shakes the Barley. I haven't heard of it (ah, parenting), but since my maternal great-grandparents first came to the U.S. in 1917 and then back and forth a bit in the early 20s, I'd love to see that movie. I'm putting it on my Netflix queue right now.