Monday, January 29, 2007

Command Center: Phase Two

Project Command Center has now entered Phase Two. I arrived home last night, shivering from the icy blistering walk from the subway, to a message on the answering machine from B&P's that my beloved chair (AAAND ottoman) would be arriving to their warehouse, and I should call to arrange delivery.

Delivery has been scheduled for: Saturday February 10th!

Hooooorrrraaaaaayyyyy!

I'm going to have to cat proof it. I'm completely devoted to her, but if Patches thinks she can scratch the sh** out of this chair, like she has done to everything else in the house, she has another thing coming!

On a not so different tangent, I've been fantasizing about my dream house. Mine wouldn't need this amount of square footage. HALF the square footage would be perfectly adequate, thank you. Imagine building your own solar powered/heated house, and not only would you NOT have to pay for electricity or heating oil, but actually having enough electricty left over, you SELL it back to the electric companies? I would also design a really amazing vegetable garden, and be completely sustainable. I have a design all worked out in my head. Not quite the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, but pretty durn close. DH would raise chickens and hunt wild boar (cinghale!) and we would cure our own prosciutti. All right, I'm really spinning out of control here. I'll stop. I draw the line at dressing in calico.

9 comments:

TheRev said...

First, take a moment to notice that I'm doing no work today. Second, how will you cat-proof the chair? I'll be curious to hear how the microfiber works on deterring cat claws. Our 3 cats have destroyed our furniture and we've decided that we won't replace it until A. The cats are all in heaven, or B. A material is developed that will be kid- and cat-proof.

Bostonworkerbee said...

I took a break from not working to notice you not working. Heh!

You have underestimated my wily-ness:
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_Nav_294_sku_833835_R_2074_enemerch_1.aspx?cm_re=294-_-TopSellers1-_-833835#details

Danielle said...

Mmmm, new furniture! I can't wait to order mine :)

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I dream of a car that doesn't run on gasoline also.

FemiKnitMafia said...

Hell yeah, I want solar power too. If you ever investigate it for real, let me know. And likewise.

Betty Crocker said...

The cold has got me down too...I hate this part of winter -- still too far to go. Please don't give up on your hot bubble baths -- simplicity and/or conservation not withstanding, the soul needs nourishment too. I think even Mr. Carter would not disapprove.

I am actually reading a lot about simplicity these days (among other things like Chemistry and non-violence)and I've actually been wanting to ask you what you know about composting -- especially when you don't really have much private land. Also I really want to make my deck garden much better this year. I'd appreciate any advice/book recomendations/etc you could offer on the above.

Sorry this is so long. Anyway, hang in there. Take a bubble bath; get in some snuggly clothes; eat comfort food; and indulge your hibernation instinct. If winter is good for nothing else, I think it gives us an excuse to rest (why else would it be so dark all the time?).

On another note, I just made arrangements for Elise to have surgery next week -- just tubes in her ears and having her adenoids removed. It's a pretty routine surgery (same day/no overnight hospital stay), but she'll be under anesthesia(sp?) and have a breathing tube. I know it will be fine, but I'm a little nervous anyway. Say a little prayer for her (and me!).

Ok now this is way too long and maybe not even appropriate for the blog. Sorry...

Bostonworkerbee said...

Hi Betty Crocker - I just sent you an email to your verizon accoutn! I'm thinking about you!

TheRev said...

Betty Crocker-
Organic Gardening magazine always has a section on composting, and I think this month they're focusing on worm composting. They also have an article on the best veg. and flower varietites of 2007. Hope that's a help.
-therev
P.S. - I really need to find a better picture since I'm a girl and don't look anything like that guy.

Betty Crocker said...

The Rev --
Thanks I'll check it out! Betty